Thursday, November 15, 2012

Tell Jesus I'll call Him back.


"Honey, the phone's ringing. Can you get it?"
"Sure thing dear. Hello? Who is this? Jesus you say? The real one, or is this a joke? John, he says it is Jesus. I think you better take this!"
"Tell him I'm a little busy with my life right now sweetie. I'll touch base with him later."

Oh how we hate it when the phone rings. Whether we answer the phone or let the answering machine get it, it's a choice that needs to be made.  "Answer it. You never know who's calling," my mom use to say. "It might be good news."  I never really spent much time wondering about who was on the other end. But times are changing.

It's been four weeks since I brought home the new Bible. I'm reading it religiously (no pun intended.) I've added other guide books to my library and invested in Logos Bible software. I needed extra help to take on this journey. But am I ready to take His call? Am I ready to become a follower rather than a fan?

 I was reading an article on following Jesus. The author noted Abraham and Jacobs' answer to the call of God. "Yes," Abraham and Jacob both replied. "Here I am!" (Gen 22:11; 31:11)
Without hesitation, these men spoke with brave, strong hearts. The phone rang, they answered. They listened without question, hung up and followed.

I hear the phone ringing now. It's a soft chime, but It's there day and night.  I'm pretending not to hear it. Frankly, I'm scared. I'm afraid He's going to ask me to follow Him and I don't have an answer yet. I know I want to, but I'm not sure I'm worthy or ready to give up the old me. I don't yet have the courage of the fishermen who threw down their nets and followed. (Mat 4: 18-22 ; Mrk 1: 16:20) This is the only me I've ever known. Will my wife and family even like the new me? Will I like the new me? Ehhh! Can't I just be me and read my Bible!

I need to take it slow. He left His number in my voice mail. I'm planning on calling Him back very soon.

2 comments:

  1. You might as well answer it J., because He will keep calling back. But let me tell you, it is worth answering. Life is sweeter, that is for sure! I GOTTA RUN....so nice to see your new post! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am finding out life becomes something different, something better when you follow.

    ReplyDelete