Saturday, December 15, 2012

Note to Self: Keep Reading

  It's been some time since I have been able to post about my Biblical journey. I have a book problem. You see I'm the type of guy that loves books. I can't walk into a book store, or Costco with out buying something new. I am now reading six Different Bibles, including a children's picture version. I'm using the picture book as a way help visualize the stories. Throw in one or two companion books for reference material and now I'm looking for a bigger study area. I also purchased the starter package from Logos Bible study software, to as they say "seal the deal." I've halted my reading at Genesis 35. Spending the last two weeks reading all the other materials and Bibles to catch up. I want to be in alignment with all the books so I can learn something from one that I might have missed in another.

 Here's my reading list:
  • The Illustrated Bible Story by Story
  • Sparkling Gems from the Greeks. 365 Greek Word Studies For Every Day of the Year To Sharpen Your Understanding of God's Word  by Rick Renner
  • The Message Bible
  •  YouVersion Bible App for phone
  • New King James Version reference Bible 1974
  • New Living Translation Bible
  •  Zondervan Handbook of the Bible
  • Joseph by Charles Swindoll
  •  The NIV Daily Bible
  • 1001 Things You Always Wanted to Know About the Bible   by J. Stephen Lange
  • The NLT Chronological Bible.
  •  The Jesus of the Bible   by Stephen M. Miller
  •  The Portable seminary   by David Horton
  •  Adventuring Through the Bible   by Ray C. Stedman
  • Logos Bible Software Starter version
Help!

Books completed :

  • In the Footsteps of Jesus   by National Geographic
  • The Circle Maker   by Mark Batterson
  •  The Power of Kindness   by Piero Ferrucci
  •  The Prophetic Blessing   by John Hagee
  •  Not a Fan   by Kyle Idleman
  •  The Greatest Story Ever Told   by Fulton Oursler
  •  The Book of Job   by Stephen Mitchell
  • God the Evidence   by Patrick Glynn
  • Desiring God   by John Piper
  • The story of Joseph and the Family of Jacob   by Ronald S. Wallace
  • How to Study the Bible Illustrated   by Robert M. West

1 comment:

  1. JOHN!! So nice to see you post today!

    Have you read any of C.S. Lewis's work? I don't mean his Narnia books, but for example, MERE CHRISTIANITY, SURPRISED BY JOY? He is a great companion to have on this journey of life as we read the scriptures. Both an academic and lover of Christ, C.S. Lewis has always brought the higher concepts back down to earth for me to remind me that I am not alone.

    WISHING YOU AND THE FAMILY A LOVELY CHRISTMAS! Anita

    ReplyDelete