Thursday, October 25, 2012

Where are you?


I think one of the most frightening verses in the Bible for me can be found in Genesis 3: 8-9 New Living Translation (NLT)

8 When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man[a] and his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the garden. So they hid from the Lord God among the trees. 9 Then the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

Where are you Adam? Wow, I can't imagine the fear he must have felt when he heard those words. How he must have heard in the depths of his mind Satan's laughing voice, "He's coming, and you have nowhere to run." He has no explanation to give for tasting what he knew should never have been eaten. He has no alibi to resolve his foolishness, and lack of self-control. He has gone where he knew he should never have been, and has crossed the line of no return.

As a father and husband to the love of my life of 18 years (just last week) I feel this verse to my core. I am not perfect. I am a hypocrite in many ways of the world, but I am a work in progress.  Like Jabez, I ask every morning "That your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain." (1 Chronicles 4:10)!

I know I have the power to lie, steal and hurt. I believe that sometimes it's harder to do the right thing than wrong. Should I give the extra ten dollars back to the angry cashier? Should I tell the wife I was where I was not? Should I kill those that I hate? What keeps me in check is fear. Fear of Him that seeks me. Fear that Hell has no fury like a women scorned. Fear of losing my children's hearts as they see what lies behind the mask. Fear of destroying their trust and stability of family by my thoughtless and selfish actions. Fear of spending time in jail!

I am not fighting any demons on these issues (which is good since my wife is going to edit this.). My heart is peaceful, joyous, and in check because I do live with a sense of healthy fear. The wolf lies in wait for us to open the door.  He waits to feast on our hearts and happiness.  All of this is what keeps me working to stay the straight and narrow.

I never want to have to hide from Him, my wife, children or neighbor as they come to walk in the garden.

 Lord help me never to hear the words "What have you done?"  Genesis 3:13

1 comment:

  1. Good morning!!! This is so spot on true. We are all under the protection and watchful eye of truth, omniscience and omnipotence and HIS name is the Alpha and the Omega, our beginning AND our end. And in that end, I know that we both and our loved ones want to be in His loving arms, not on the judgement stand. Wonderful musings, truth expressed in every way, and a sincere calling to us ALL to think clearly about our actions. It is so good to see you here and to see your wife again!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete